Monday, September 04, 2006

Quick Weekend Summery

A quick summery of our three day weekend was that we got to go to the Grand Canyon. It was fun. We bought a 2001 Ford Excursion. Lonnon flew out to South Dakota to get it. He drove it back, and then we left for Arizona 3 hours later. The poor guy got 1 1/2 hrs sleep in 48 hrs. We left for the Grand Canyon and spent Sunday at the Grand Canyon. It was a mostly a great vacation for OUR family. (I will explain this in a moment) When we left for the canyon, I left my camera in our hotel room on the table. So I have pictures before and after but during everyone else took the pictures. What great sports. Now I have to wait for the other 6 cameras that were in our family to give me copies to get some pictures to post. (Thank heaven for digital cameras!) As soon as I get them I will post them, I promise! And I will write a better blog about our vacation.

It was also an eye opener for the adults. I was very worried about our girls and made sure they had little backpack leashes on so they could not go anywhere. Brae is old enough so she could hold someones hand. We made it a huge point that they were never, under any circumstance, were they to be let go of. And were to be held by an ADULT at all times while at the Grand Canyon.

(Now comes the explaination I was telling you about)

While we were taking pictures we heard what sounded like a bunch of teenagers yelling and messing around. About 10 minutes later we found out that a little 2 1/2 year old girl had fallen over the edge of the canyon. This tore us all up. It hit close to home because of our childrens ages. It especially hit hard for Grandma Jensen because after seeing what family it was, she realized just 5 minutes before the accident Auroiya and the little girl said hi to each other and it made it even more close to home. The information we got was from one of the two men that climbed down to help the little girl. He said that the grandma had stopped to take a picture and the little girl slipped and fell inbetween the paved trail and the guard rail. Just a little bit before he had commented to his wife that that spot was dangerous and someone could slip and fall through that hole. Sadly the little girl did. The little girl had been stopped by a tree and two men had climbed down to stay with her to make sure she didn't fall any further. They had a rescue crew that had to repell down to get her (if that gives you an idea of how hard it was for these brave men to climb down to be with her) They took her in an ambulence and said she was alive but unconscience. What a horrible family vacation this had to have been. We have been trying to see updates but it has been hard to find any information except to search the internet.

The thought of loosing any one of my girls crushes me. Keilani is 2 and Auroiya is 3 1/2. The thought of the pain this family is going through sets me into tears. Lets just say my girls were held onto VERY close after this. Haveing family there made it much easier to watch our girls. Between family and friends that went, there were 17 people in our group. (only 3 were friends.) I pray for that family and I also pray we give thanks for the safty and health of our little ones and that they are still with us. Please everyone, watch your little ones so closely when you go places. You blink and they are gone. In this case, it may be the life that is gone too.

1 comment:

Katie said...

How incredibly scary for that family. I'm glad you had so much adult help with your girls.

I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon! Maybe when the kids are in late elementary years we'll take a trip out there.

How fun about your new ride! I bet you are just loving it.